(Click on paintings or drawings below to view larger size.)



Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Linseed oil and clouds


A couple years ago I found a second-hand book called "Traditional Oil Painting" by Virgil Elliott. It contained many technical tips that made sense; the book was more up-to-date than most. Finally last week I took a closer look and found there was also a website: Link (and even a Facebook group).

One useful idea I've taken away is that you don't need turps or even odorless mineral spirits to clean your brushes as you paint. You don't even have to switch to water-based paints. You can simply use linseed oil. I tried this and it works. I bought a container of raw linseed oil at the hardware store and used that to clean my brushes as I painted. (I'm not sure if "raw" is the best kind to buy for this but that's all they had.) He suggests you first dab your paint onto the rag, then dip it in the oil, dab again on the rag and repeat once more. Then for painting, of course, you use the art store version.

"Cloud Study"
10x15cm, oil on gessoed hardboard 

No comments:

Post a Comment