(Click on paintings or drawings below to view larger size.)



Thursday, July 29, 2021

Rosa Gallery oil paints


"Arty-choke"
19 x 24cm Rosa oil on linen canvas

I had a tube of titanium white from Rosa and liked the thick consistency of the paint. So when I saw you could get 24 x 20ml tubes for 26.49 euros, I decided to try them out. It's fun having new paints and I thought the small tubes would be practical for "plein air" work. They are made in the Ukraine and labeled "professional". Their consistency might come from the fact they use stand oil as a binder. One site says this makes working "alla prima" more enjoyable, which is what I am hoping.

I first tried them out on a canvas scrap. Cadmiums and cobalts are "hues" and the lightfastness is either ** or *** (except cobalt violet deep is *). I don't know what scale they are using but if the maximum is ***, then I suppose this is not bad. Mixing with titanium produced some nice subtle shades.



The artichokes above are not "plein air" because it started raining again here in Belgium so I found inspiration in a photo that Lynda Pynn posted on the “Free Reference Photos for Artists” Facebook group. So far I am happy with the paints. As soon as possible I will try them for painting on location. 



No comments:

Post a Comment