(Click on paintings or drawings below to view larger size.)



Monday, March 20, 2023

Portrait Practice

 

2. "The Postcard Collector"
20x16 inches, oil on canvas


 
3. "Portrait with Tree"
16x20 inches, oil on canvas



4. "Portrait no 4"
16x12 inches, oil on canvas
(Private Collection, PA)
 

I had forgotten what a challenge it was to paint someone who was posing for you. I tried this a few times with some low-end oil paints. They were so smooth, coming out of the tube with the consistency of hair conditioner. Since I continued to use only linseed oil as a medium and brush cleaner, the paint got even more fluid. After three of those, I went out and bought new paint and canvas for a fourth and final portrait. I also took some photographs to help keep track of the pose -- when the subject is moving, talking, and glancing here and there, it helps.


1. "Reading the newspaper"
quick sketch in oil on 10x8inch canvas

No comments:

Post a Comment