(Click on paintings or drawings below to view larger size.)



Monday, March 6, 2023

Souvenir Series

"Discovering Lucerne"
24x30cm oil on canvas
(private collection, Oakford, PA)
 
It's been fun painting from photographs in Facebook groups that offer free references for artists. And I also enjoyed painting in response to the numerous photo challenges on Instagram. But there's always that feeling that you are sharing the photographer's vision, no matter how much you alter his image and try to make it yours. I therefore decided to get back to using more personal reference material. First, I got out my photos of our chickens and had a field day with those. Then my photos and oil sketches of the bike path to create a larger studio work. Now something completely different: our family slides.

I've been scanning slides and realized it's become much more convenient to use them for painting once they're scanned. It used to be that you had to watch out not to overheat the slide projector, burn the slides, or contribute to their deterioration through handling (mildew, etc). I remember even trying to paint in the dark with the slide projector on. But with the scanned image, all these problems are history.

 
"Halloween 1964"
oil on postcard canvas

More to come!



No comments:

Post a Comment